Want to transport your bike from one city to another? If yes then this article is especially for you. Bike transport by train (railways) and bike transport by road (bus & truck) are two options to choose from.
Here you will know the detailed information about both options – bike transportation by railway and bike transportation by road (truck or bike).
Transporting a bike or scooter from one city to another is not everyone’s cup of tea. It is one of the most challenging tasks to accomplish perfectly. Everyone cares about their bike.
And hence, they always look for the best mode of transportation of bike when need to have their bike in another city. No one will like to see damages or dents to the bike in transportation.
There are two options available in the market. One if bike parcel by road and the second one is bike shifting by road (bus or truck). Whichever option you choose to transport your prized bike or scooter, you should make the correct decision smartly.
You should decide between bike transportation by Indian railways and bike transportation by road. Both options have their own pros and cons.
Getting confused about deciding the right option for bike transport from one city to another?
No worries. Firstly of all, know about both options in detail and then make the correct decision. I hope you will be able to pick the best option for bike transport from your current city to another.
Table of Contents
- Bike Transportation in Train – How to Parcel Bike by Indian Railway
- Guide for How to Transport Bike by Train from One City to Another
- Documents Needed for Motorcycle / Bike / Scooter Transport by Train
- The Procedure of Bike Transport by Train as Parcel
- Two-wheeler Vehicle, Scooter & Bike Parcel by Train Charges and Cost
- The Procedure of Bike Transport by Train as Luggage
- Indian Railways Rules for Two-wheeler Transport by Train
- The Disadvantage of Two-wheeler Transportation by Train
- Bike Transportation by Road – Bus/Truck n India
- What is the cheapest and best way to transport a bike?
- Two-wheeler Transportation-Related FAQs
Bike Transportation in Train – How to Parcel Bike by Indian Railway
Most people agree that bike transportation by train is one of the best and cheaper ways to transport a two-wheeler vehicle from one city to another. Indian Railways is the fourth largest railway network in the world. And hence it has been one of the biggest modes of transportation.
Transportation of a bike or any two-wheeler vehicle like a scooter and scooty has been one of the most common things nowadays. You can use the service of bike parcel in train if you want to transport your bike or scooter safely to your desired city at cheaper rates.
Apart from a two-wheeler or motorbike parcel by train, there can be other options to choose from. You can go with bike transport by bus or bike transportation by professional bike movers. But two-wheeler transport by train will be a safer and cheaper option.
If you are willing to transport your bike by train then you might have the following queries in your mind.
- How to transport a bike from one city to another by train?
- What is the procedure of booking a bike parcel service in train?
- What are the charges for bike transportation in train?
- Is it possible to transport a two-wheeler vehicle as luggage?
- What is the procedure of bike transportation by train as luggage?
- How to book bike parcel service in the Indian Railways online?
- How to calculate the bike transport cost by train?
- What will be the important documents required for a scooter or two-wheeler transport by train?
You can find all the answers to send your bike by railway from one city to another. Make sure you have access to the nearby railway station. You will have to take your bike to the railway station on the day of boarding. Indian Railways does not have any arrangement for picking up your bike from your home. So, be prepared for that.
Guide for How to Transport Bike by Train from One City to Another
Here I will give the best guidance with the procedure of any type of two-wheeler vehicle, be it motorcycle or scooter, transportation in train. And you will learn the complete process of shifting bikes from one city to another by using bike parcel service of Indian Railways.
Here, you need to know that Indian Railways offers two ways to transport your bike.
- Bike transportation by train as parcel
- Bike transportation by train as luggage
It means you can transport your bike by train either as a parcel or as a luggage. Both options are different from one another.
What is different between both options – bike transport by train as parcel and bike transport by train as luggage? Let’s dig into both options provided by Indian Railways.
To understand this, you need to understand the difference between luggage and parcel.
Luggage is something that you take with you when you are traveling. It means if you select the option of bike transport by train as luggage then your bike will be transported on the same train you will travel.
On the other hand, a parcel is a package bearing the name and address of the recipient sent by a special service. It means if you choose the option of bike transportation by train as a parcel, you will not need to travel along with your bike. Your bike will be transported through any train or wagon decided by the Rail Authorities.
Two-wheeler Vehicle – Scooter & bike transport on a train as the luggage
Bike transportation in a train as the luggage is a faster mode to receive the bike at the destination. It is because you will be traveling the same train in which your bike is getting transported.
It means you will receive your bike as soon as the train arrives at the destination. This option will be costlier than bike transportation by train as a parcel. It is because you will have to bear the cost of bike transportation and your travel as well.
Two-wheeler Vehicle – Scooter & bike transport in train as the parcel
Bike parcel in train is the cheapest way to transport a two-wheeler vehicle from one city to another. This option is also called motorcycle cargo by Indian Railways.
In this option, you will not need to travel with your bike. And hence this will save you your travel cost. Plus, you will need to book the bike parcel service in train, well in advance to avoid the shortage of slots.
Rail Authorities will decide when and in which train your bike will be sent to your destination. Usually, Indian Railways takes the time of 5 to 7 days for transporting a bike from one city to any city else across the country.
Role of Rail Authorities in Bike Transportation by Train
You have two option bike transport on a train as luggage and bike transport on a train as a parcel. You can go with any one of the two available options.
Earlier people can easily decide to choose between luggage and parcel options for transporting a bike by train. But now the procedures of bike transportation by train have been changed.
Now it will totally depend on Rail Authorities. Rail Authorities will decide whether they will allow transporting bikes as luggage or parcel. Now they usually provide a parcel booking option for scooters and bike transportation by train. Plus, they will decide on which train your bike will be transported.
You need to early booking for bike parcel in train, as Rail Authorities will take the decision of bike transit depending on the slot availability and destination. They may not have an available slot on your desired date. They may not have service for the destination you need to transport your bike. So, book a bike parcel in a train as early as possible.
Documents Needed for Motorcycle / Bike / Scooter Transport by Train
As you know well that there are two options for transporting a bike or scooter by train from one place to another. Whatever option you choose to send your bike through train, there will be the requirements of some documents to proceed with your booking or request.
Rail Authorities may ask for the following important documents before allowing you bike transportation in train –
- Government-issued ID proof – Driving License, Voter ID Card, Passport, Arms License, Ration Card with Photo, CGHS/ECHS Card, Income Tax Pan Card, Photo Credit Card, Current Passbook with Photo, etc.
- Registration certification (RC) of the bike. Make sure, the RC must bear the same name as the identity proof.
- Xerox copay of bike insurance paper.
- Travel reservation ticket (if you have selected the option of bike transportation in the train as luggage)
So, keep these important documents with you to submit at the booking office. You cannot transport your bike or scooter without RC and Insurance. At the time of booking transportation of bike in a train, you will need to fill the booking form properly with the necessary details such as your name, mobile number, current address, and destination address.
The Procedure of Bike Transport by Train as Parcel
Learn the procedure of bike transportation in the train as a parcel through the step-by-step guide.
- Visit the nearby Railway Station parcel office with your two-wheeler vehicle – bike or scooter. Carry the important documents as mentioned above. Rail Authorities will ask you for the documents.
- Pack your bike or scooter thoroughly to avoid dents, scratches, or damages to the bike body. At the railway station or bike parcel booking office, you can easily find some agents or packers that may pack your bike perfectly. Usually, agents charge around Rs 300 for the packing of a bike or scooter. They may ask you more but you need to be good at bargaining.
- Fill the bike parcel booking form with the appropriate details such as bike engine number and chassis number.
- Submit the parcel booking form and pay the bike parcel charges, and receive the booking receipt. Take care of the receipt and keep it safe.
- Carry a permanent marker and create an identity mark on your bike or scooter. Or, write the booking receipt number on your bike. The purpose of this act is to identify the bike easily during delivery.
- In parcel booking, Rail Authorities will decide the train name and date for transportation & delivery of your two-wheeler vehicle through the train.
- On the day of delivery, receive your bike/scooter from the destination at any time within 48 hours. If you will not collect bike within 48 hours then your bike will be transferred to the warehouse of the destination. And hence you will have to collect your bike from the warehouse. And you will also have to pay additional charges.
- At the time of the delivery of the bike, don’t forget to carry the parcel booking receipt. You will be asked to show the bike parcel booking receipt before handing over your bike to you.
Two-wheeler Vehicle, Scooter & Bike Parcel by Train Charges and Cost
You have learned about the procedure of bike transportation by train as parcel booking. You will also like to know the cost of transporting a bike to a new city by train. What will be the bike parcel charges by train? How much amount will be charged by Rail Authorities for transportation of your bike as a parcel in the train? You might like to know the same.
The charges for bike parcel in a train will depend on various factors. One of the main factors is the distance between the source and the destination. Plus, the total weight of your bike or scooter will also affect the bike parcel charges by train. But you should happy to know that bike parcel charges are usually cheaper than other modes of bike transportation from one place to another. The packing or wrapping cost will be additional, which will be done third party packers.
So, what will the actual cost of transporting a bike by train from one city to another? How can you know the same? No problem. Now you can calculate the bike transportation by train cost by visiting the official website of the Indian Railway and use the bike parcel service cost calculator.
The Rate Chart for Bike Transportation in Train Charges by Train (Indian Railways)
|Description||Bike Transportation Charges in Train|
|Packing Cost or Porter Charges||Rs 300|
|Delivery Cost||The cost will vary as it depends on the bike weight and destination for delivery.|
|Insurance Cost||The insurance cost in bike/scooter transportation by train will depend on the total value of the bike. This cost head will be included with the bike parcel cost. Scooter & bike transport price declaration up to Rs 10,000 does not have extra charges. After that, the insurance charge will be 1% extra of the declared value of your two-wheeler vehicle like bike & scooter.|
The Procedure of Bike Transport by Train as Luggage
To transport your two-wheeler-vehicle like motorbike and scooter as luggage in a train, you will need to produce a valid travel reservation ticket. Only then you can book the send your bike in the train as luggage. Here is the step-by-step guide to learn the procedure of motorbike transportation in the train as luggage.
- Make an enquiry a few days before about the possibilities of transportation of a two-wheeler-vehicle in train as luggage.
- Visit the nearby railway station and go to the luggage booking office a day or two days prior to the day of travel.
- Carry your bike with ID proof, RC, and the travel ticket and visit the luggage booking office at the railway station.
- Take the luggage booking form from the office and fill it with the appropriate details.
- Thereafter, pay the applicable bike transport charges by Indian railways.
- After payment, you will be provided for the booking receipt. Keep the receipt safe with you.
- Plus, collect the endorsement of your travel ticket. Bear in mind, the luggage booking receipt and the endorsement of your ticket are two very important documents. That is essential for getting the delivery of the bike/scooter.
Keep in mind the following on the day of bike transport in the train as luggage
- Reach the source railway station with your bike at least 2 hours prior to the scheduled departure time. It will avoid last-minute hassles.
- You may need to have proper packing of your bike/scooter to avoid the dents, damages, and scratches on the vehicle. Find the expert packers and let them pack and wrap your bike/scooter.
- Thereafter your bike will be carried out the right platform through which the train will depart for the destination.
- After reaching the right platform, your bike/scooter will be loaded in the luggage carrier of the train. Since it is a luggage booking, you will travel on the same train.
- After reaching the destination railway station, go to the luggage counter (office) and show your luggage booking receipt and the endorsement of your ticket along with your travel ticket.
- Then office authorities will arrange the de-boarding of your two-wheeler vehicle from the train.
- Once your bike is de-boarded from the rail coach, remove the packaging of the bike/scooter.
- Inspect the bike for any possible damages.
- If everything is okay, collect the delivery or dispatch receipt and gate pass provided by the official authorities.
- And then take your bike/scooter out of the station.
Indian Railways Rules for Two-wheeler Transport by Train
If you are planning to transport your two-wheeler-vehicle like bike or scooter by train then you will have to follow certain rules. What are the Indian Railways rules for bike and scooter transportation by train? Do you know the rules for transporting a bike by train? Indian railways rules for bike transportation by train include:
Insurance for bike transport/parcel by train
Did you know that Indian Railways also provides insurance coverage for all types of transportation made by train? Yes, it is true. You will also get the insurance coverage benefit on the transportation of your bike or scooter by train. In this case, you will need to declare the total value of the bike or scooter.
The cost of insurance will be included in the bike transportation charges in train. To get the benefits of insurance coverage you will need to declare the value of your bike.
Indian Railways does not charge a single rupee as an insurance coverage charge if you declare the cost of your bike at a maximum of Rs 10,000. In this case, you will not have to pay extra charges.
But if you declare the value of your bike more than Rs 10,000, then Indian Railways will ask additional charges. You will need to pay 1% extra charges as an insurance facility.
You must know, what if your bike or scooter is lost in transportation in the train? What if the train, unfortunately, meets an accident and your bike gets damaged completely. In such cases, the Indian Railways will repay as per the declared insurance value of the bike.
Indian Railways does not allow bike transport with petrol
Indian Railways does not allow transportation of any type of vehicle with the petrol tank. So, you should not fuel your bike during transportation by train. Also, empty the petrol tank before boarding the train on the train.
There is a provision of penalty in the case of the vehicle found full of the petrol tank. You may have to pay Rs 1,000 to Rs 5,000 as fine if your bike in the train is found with petrol.
Sometimes, Indian Railways authorities send the bike to the nearby police station, if the bike on the train is found with petrol. Hence this can be a very awkward situation because you will have to answer the police why you have not drained the petrol from the bike before loading on the train.
You will never like to go through this type of pathetic and awkward situation. Hence, it’s better to empty the petrol tank of the bike before transporting it through the train.
Things to remember on two-wheeler transportation in train
- Take the decision right to choose between bike transportation as a parcel in train and bike transportation as luggage by train.
- Make an early enquiry for exploring the right option for sending your bike to your desired destination.
- Make an early booking for bike parcel service to avoid the last-minute hassles.
- Don’t forget to carry important documents on the day of the booking.
- Make a travel reservation as early as possible. It is because you may not get the confirmed railways ticket on the day you are sending the train.
- Receive the bike transportation booking receipt and keep it safe.
- Indian Railways does not allow the transportation of the bike with petrol. So, empty the petrol tank before getting loaded on the train.
- Remember the bike parcel booking time i.e. 10 AM to 5 PM.
- Bike transportation on the train can be booked throughout the year.
The Disadvantage of Two-wheeler Transportation by Train
I completely agree that the transportation of any type of two-wheeler vehicle is one of the cheapest ways to transport a bike from one city to another. But there are also several disadvantages to bike transportation by train.
Sometimes you may encounter troubles when you choose to train to transport your bike to the city of your choice. One of the main drawbacks of vehicle transport on the train is you will have to arrange some petrol at your destination. It is because Indian Railways does not allow transporting a bike or scooter in train with petrol. You will need to empty the petrol tank before transporting your bike.
Think about the circumstance. You reach the destination. If you will not have petrol in your bike fuel tank then how you will take the bike to your home. It is not necessary that your house will be just outside the railway station and you can manage anyhow to bring the bike to your home. It would be really a very pathetic and troublesome situation.
In the case of bike transportation by train as luggage, you will need to travel on the same train. Once the train reaches your destination, you will need to go through a very time-consuming process for the release of your bike. In the case of bike transportation on the train as a parcel, then it will take more time to deliver your bike. Generally, it takes time for 5 to 7 days. Plus, the parcel booking for bike transportation on the train should be done in advance to avoid the last-minute hassles.
Bike Transportation by Road – Bus/Truck n India
If you don’t like or prefer to transport your two-wheeler-vehicle on the train then you can opt for the second option that is bike transportation by road (truck or bus). There are several bus operators that can allow you to transport your bike by a bus. Bike transportation by bus charges can be also a cheaper option. But there is not specialized service for bike transportation by bus. A limited number of operators can offer you the service or allow you to transport your bike on their buses.
But you can go by bike transportation by truck or specialized transport vehicle. There are several professional bike movers or bike transporters in different cities of India. You can hire the right one for bike transportation from one place to another.
Some professional packers and movers can also provide you services for bike transportation from one place to another. You can also find several aggregators that can help you pick the best and dependable bike transport company in your city. In whatever city of India you want to hire a bike parcel service, you can hire the same through the transport service booking portal.
Professional Packers and Movers Specializing in Bike Transportation
You can consider professional packers and movers for the following types of services:
- Scooter & Bike transportation services in Pune
- Scooter & Bike transportation services in Delhi
- Bike & Scooter transportation services in Noida
- Scooter & bike transportation services in Gurgaon
- Scooter & bike transportation services in Mumbai
- Two-wheeler vehicle transport services in Ghaziabad
- Scooter & bike transportation services in Bangalore
- Scooter & bike transportation services in Chennai
- Two-wheeler vehicle transport services in Faridabad
- Scooter & bike transportation services in Kolkata
- Motorbike transportation services in Hyderabad
- Motorbike transportation services in Chandigarh
Hiring specialized bike transporters or packers & movers may be costlier than transporting the bike by train. But it will give you door to door shifting service. Experts will pick up your bike from your current location and deliver the same at your new place on time.
Using an online portal like Packersandmover.com you can hire the aforementioned services and also calculate the over cost of bike transportation from one place to another.
Approximate Bike Transportation by Road Cost & Charges in India
|Engine/Power/Types||Up to 400 Km||400-800 KM||800-1300 KM||1300-1900 KM|
|100cc – 150cc Bike||2,000 – 3,500||3,000-4,000||3,500-4,500||4,000-5,000|
|150cc – 200cc Bike||2,400-3,600||3,400-4,100||3,900-4,600||4,400-4,900|
|200cc – 250cc Bike||2,700-3,900||3,700-4,400||4,200-4,900||4,700-5,000|
|250cc – 350cc Bike||2,800-3,800||3,800-4,300||4,300-4,800||4,800-5,000|
|350cc – 500cc Bike||2,800-3,800||3,800-4,300||4,300-4,800||4,800-5,000|
|Cruiser Sports Bike||5,000-8,500||7,000-10,500||9,000-13,500||12,000-16,500|
|Off Road Sports Bike||6,000-9,000||7,500-11,500||10,000-14,500||13,000-17,500|
Want to know the precise price estimate for bike transport service? Know the charges using the below-provided tool.
What is the cheapest and best way to transport a bike?
The cost of transporting a bike from one city to another depends on several factors. Here are some ways through which you can transport your bike from one city another.
Bike transport by Volvo Bus (Distance < 1000 kms)
If the distance is less than 1000 km then I suggest you to transport your bike by bus. Volvo & Scania buses have special luggage compartments. These compartments are good enough for a bike or scooter can be transported from one city to another safely even without packing. Nowadays, some bus operators are objecting for transporting bike by bus due to new RTO norms. However, you can check them in advance to know if they have provision to transport your bike to another city.
Bike transport by train (Distance > 1000 kms)
If the distance is more than 1000 then consider to use bike transport in train. Indian Railways offer two options for transporting a two-wheeler vehicle. You can choose between bike transport in train as parcel and bike transport in train as luggage.
Bike Movers / Packers and Movers
Hiring transport companies such as specialized bike movers or packers and movers has been one of the best ways to transport a bike from one city to another safely. They can offer you bike transportation services at cheaper rates. They will take care of your bike and transport them safely to your destination. The biggest benefit of this option is door to door shifting.
There are two options for transporting a bike from one place to another – bike transport by train and bike transport by road. Bike transportation on the train also has two options – bike transportation on the train as parcel and bike transportation on the train as luggage. Furthermore, bike transport by road has two options – bike transportation by bus and bike transport by truck or specialized bike carrier. Whatever option you choose to transport your bike, you should take the decision correctly. Decide to choose the best-suited option. Every option for bike transportation has its pros and cons. if you are looking for a cheaper option then you should consider for bike transport by train. If you are looking for door to door bike shifting service then you must go with one of dependable packers & movers or bike transporters of your city. I hope this idea will help you a lot when you need to transport your bike from one city to another.
Two-wheeler Transportation-Related FAQs
To transport your bike from one city to another you have two options – bike transportation by train and bike transportation by road. Choose the right way to send your bike. Read the complete article above for the helpful insights.
The cheaper way to transport a bike from one city to another is by train. Option for bike transportation on the train if you have a limited budget for sending your bike at the choice of your city.
Indian Railways provides two options for transporting a two-wheeler vehicle by train. The one is bike transportation on the train as parcel and bike transport on the train as luggage. Bike parcel on the train is the cheaper option than sending a bike as luggage. The cost of bike transportation on the train will depend on various factors such as the weight of the bike, and the distance between the source railway station and destination railway station. The insurance cost will also affect cost.
The insurance charge for bike transportation on the train will depend on the total amount of declared value of your bike. If the declared value of your bike is up to Rs 10,000 then you will get the free insurance. You will not have to pay additional charges for the same. If the declared value is more than 10,000 then you will have to pay 1 % extra amount as insurance cost.
You can calculate the cost of bike transport in train by using Indian Railway Official Parcel Cost Calculator.
Visit the nearby railway station with ID proof, RC, and copy of insurance paper. Fill the bike parcel booking form, pay the fee, submit the form, and then take the receipt. Take your bike back at the destination.
Definitely, it would be bike transportation by train.
The most hassle-free way to transport bikes from one city to another is hiring one of specialized packers & movers or bike transporters. They will pack your bike at your doorstep and pick up for transportation. You will get the delivery of your bike on the promised day. It would be a great experience to move your bike with one of the dependable movers and packers.
Most packers and movers or specialized bike transport companies will decide the cost of your bike shifting based on the weight of the bike and destination. Distance matters a lot in transit. You can use the bike transportation cost calculator to know the charges.